Friday, February 4, 2011

Blog Entry: Today I Met the Legendary Dan Rather

I didn’t get to ask my question.  I don’t know if I could have thought of something original, I was planning to ask, “What do you suggest to a new journalist who is contemplating whether or not to kick a hornets’ nest?  Instead, he answered my friend Joey-from-KTSA’s question which was “…what is your advice for someone who just got their first job in journalism?”  To which Mr. Rather replied, “Well the very first thing you should do is get down on your knees and thank God.”  Joey may have had the question, but I had the golden ticket (thanks to Lisa Pena).  The gold ticket got me into the reception that followed.

I stashed my motorcycle helmet under row of chairs in the front room of the Koehler House.  I stood up, turned to my right and found myself face to face with Dan.  (I’m going to call him Dan because I’m old, and because Connie always called him Dan.)  I already had my questions answered, so I thanked him for coming.  Someone else remarked about the weather, and I said “Aw, well, what’s a little cold, compared to what you’ve been through to bring us the news. “  He looked me in the eye and smiled and stuck out his hand.

I shook his hand warmly, and said, “Mr. Rather, I just want to tell you I was very touched by your moment of silence for the troops, before your speech.  My son is 23 and in Afghanistan, and I thank you for thinking of him.  You know it’s subzero there and he is standing out on a turret with a  big ugly gun.”  Dan asked me if I would give a message to my son.  He said “my wife and I sincerely thank you, we are thinking of you and your comrades, and we are praying for you.” 

As he autographed the front page of my reporter’s notebook, he asked my son’s name and what branch of service. “Be sure to tell him,” he reminded me.  Then he put both arms around me and gave me a big Texas hug.


No comments:

Post a Comment